skip to main content

International Student FAQ

Who is eligible to purchase the International Student plans?

International students or other persons with a current passport who: 1) are engaged in educational activities; 2) are temporarily located outside his/her home country as a non-resident alien; 3) have not obtained permanent residency status in the U.S.; and 4) are enrolled in an associate, bachelor, master or Ph.D. degree program at a university or other educational institution, with no less than 6 credit hours (unless such school's full-time status requires less); Visiting Scholars, Optional Practical Training Students and formal English as a Second Language program students with an F1 or J1 visa are eligible to enroll in this insurance Plan. The six credit hour requirement is waived for Summer if the applicant was enrolled in this plan as a full-time student in the immediately preceding Spring term.

Students must actively attend classes for at least the first 31 days after the date for which coverage is purchased with the exception of International Visiting Scholars or those engaged in an Optional Practical Training Program. Home study, correspondence and online courses do not fulfill the Eligibility requirements that the student actively attend classes. The Company maintains its right to investigate Eligibility or student status and attendance records to verify that the policy Eligibility requirements have been met. If the Company discovers the Eligibility requirements have not been met, its only obligation is to refund premium.

Eligible students who do enroll may also insure their Dependents. Eligible Dependents are the student’s legal spouse and dependent children under 26 years of age.

Dependent Eligibility expires concurrently with that of the Insured student

Do the First Student plans meet the minimum insurance requirements of my school?

First Student strives to offer plans that are comprehensive and meet a multitude of minimum requirements. However, requirements differ by institution. Download the comparison table below to show your adviser for approval.

What payment options to I have to purchase coverage?

All payments are made online. First Student accepts eCheck, and most major credit cards including; Visa, MasterCard, Discover, American Express, JCB, and Diner’s Club.

Where can I get an ID card?

You can find your ID card online through your MyAccount. From your MyAccount you can print your ID card. Your printed ID card will be accepted everywhere you need to use it. Permanent ID cards are sent out by request only. You can request your permanent ID card through your MyAccount. You will need to provide a US mailing address in order to complete the process.

What are my purchase options?

Students may purchase a minimum of 3 month and a maximum of 12 months at a time.

Need for help with insurance options and definitions?

Glossary of Insurance Terms (PDF)
HealthCare 101 (PDF)

Have other Questions? We would be happy to help you. Give us a call at 1- 888-251-6253 or Email Us.